NSF NeTS Informational Meeting on Nov 7, 2006
NSF NeTS program will be holding a one day informational meeting for the FIND (Future Internet Design) focus area on November 7, 2006 from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm in a hotel near Dulles Airport in the Washington DC area. Please put this date on your calendar. You will soon receive an email instructing you on how to register and with hotel information if you plan to spend the night at the meeting hotel.
FIND (Future Internet Design) is a major new long-term initiative of the NSF NeTS research program. FIND invites the research community to consider what the requirements should be for a global network of 15 years from now, and how we could build such a network if we are not constrained by the current Internet -- if we could design it from scratch. FIND solicits research across the broad area of network architecture, principles, and mechanism design, aimed at answering these questions. The philosophy of the program is to help conceive the future by momentarily letting go of the present - freeing our collective minds from the constraints of the current state of networking.
The intellectual scope of the FIND program is wide. FIND research might address questions such as:
- How can we design a network that is fundamentally more secure and available than today's Internet? How would we conceive the security problem if we could start from scratch?
- How might such functions as information dissemination, location management or identity management best fit into a new network architecture?
- What will be the long-term impact of new technologies such as advanced wireless and optics?
- How will economics and technology interact to shape the overall design of a future network?
- How do we design a network that preserves a free and open society?
The meetingThe first set of FIND awards has now been made. This meeting will discuss these awards as examples of architectural ideas, provide guidance for potential proposers about the program's goals, structure, and review process, and offer community discussion and feedback about this exciting new initiative in networking research.
- Here is Darleen Fisher's Presentation on FIND given at the informational meeting.